Tuesday, March 9, 2010
False Pretences
While the pretences under which I was brought here were less than celebratory, my trip has certainly become something to celebrate. If you know me, you know I've had a tough couple weeks. That being said, I am a lucky girl. You never realize how lucky you are, or were, until times are tough. Or in my case, icky. I have a pretty awesome family, one that will fly me to Costa Rica at the drop of a hat. Like money is no object, when in reality it is the object of most of their troubles. I have some pretty tremendous friends, many of which I have neglected in my naiive attempt to become my own person. Ew. The truth is, I have no idea who I am or what I want to do with my life. I never realized how important having a foundation of good people around me was until, well, right now. It's good to know you are there, you people who know who you are. I love you all (I feel like I'm writing an Oscars speech, but I won't be thanking God). Enough of the sappy shit. On to my adventures in Central America! So I awoke at 3:30 on the morning of the 7th. Got my kid sister to drive my grouchy ass to the airport when she had left work but two hours prior. Travelled to Houston en route to San Jose, with but a 45 minute layover, enough time to grab a bite of Tex Mex. Don't ask me why I chose that particular epicurean fiasco. The next flight was 3.5 hours long. I decided early on I would bite the bullet, pay the $6 credit card fee so I could have full access to prime time television and movies on demand. Yes I watched Blind Side and Parenthood and yes I cried during both. I sat next to an extremely polite young gentlemen who was returning home after a spring break spent in Michigan and Chicago. I know, right? We're all wondering wtf he was doing in 20 degree weather when all we want is to kick it in his climate. He was a great guy. I only learned his life story during the last half hour of the flight. I was anti-social and weepy most of the time. Damn you pre-menstrual cycle! I finally arrived in San Jose around 2:00, confused, disoriented, tired. If you've travelled internationally you know the feeling. Once inside the airport I went through a grueling 45 minute customs circus only to be denied entry into the country due to the narcotics stuffed in my anus. Kidding! My parents greeted me at the entrance, and off we went on our 3 hour car ride to San Isidro (save for the two stops we made at a Costa Rican Sam's Club and, of course, a bar).
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment